Carly’s Book

Home Forums General JT Topics Carly’s Book

Create New Topic
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Barb
    Participant

I read excerpts yesterday. I will never buy the book. There were personal things in there about James that just enraged me that she’d ever divulge them. I thought she should have just put it in a diary,and burned it instead! Others think she was entitled.

It’s not what road you take to get there, it’s the fact that you make it.James has.

rkiel512
    Participant

BARB:
    As usual, I know you mean well but if you don’t want to read this book and you would rather other people don’t view it either, why bring it up on a JT website?

Most people don’t know the book was written.

Streisand (Barbra) Effect
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Barb
    Participant

Because not everything in life is rosy, Rkiel.I have read excerpts. I’m saying if you’re a fan of James, save your money. Carly is making appearances all over now. I’m sure more know than don’t.

“I meant what I said, I said what I meant. An elephant’s faithful 100 percent.” (Horton Hatches the Egg)

Barb
    Participant

..and Rkiel,you say “as usual”. The only time you will find me speaking in James’s defense is when I feel his personal privacy is being invaded, as was the case when I learned someone was giving out his financial information.

meljones198
    Participant

I just read the Carly Simon book and I didn’t think she said “horrible” things about James at all. Most of the things mentioned were things things that most fans know already. There is one part in the book when Carly demonstrates how great James’ character is when they get a “surprise” phone call before their wedding. He extended her MUCH more grace and love then most men would have under the circumstances. It just seemed to me that they were two hippies in love who were young and went through a lot of things “progressive” people did during this time in history. I thought if anything she exposes herself much more and talks about her motives and many times mentions his good character. She says this is what separated him from the rest of the bunch. I like both James and Carly’s work and probably own more James music than Carly’s so I’m not really on a “side” here. I really thought this was a well written book and surprising candid about Carly and her sometime “crazy” self and family. Her family background is quite fascinating and the story of her picking up her Dad from work is very, very touching. Her descriptions of the Taylor clan is VERY endearing overall and extremely complementary. If you aren’t interested in her and think she is out to make a quick buck don’t get the book. If you are interested in how many of us bought into some cultural and social falsehoods of the 60s-70s and survived it all you might really enjoy it. I was surprised that it didn’t have more villains in he book. The writing was well constructed with great insight and grace. This is definitely one of the better autobiography’s out there.

Tee
    Participant

I just finished reading Carly’s new book “Boys In The Trees” – A GREAT read and what a lovely ride Carly gave me for three days it took to read it – in between preparing, fixing, eating and cleaning up for the Thanksgiving Holiday feast…
    Carly fearlessly reveals her inner most thoughts and personal experiences as only Carly can do…that James Taylor was a major part of her personal experience is honestly laid out. Really her marital experience is not unlike, though maybe a ton more intense, than 99% percent of marriages in this country during that era.
    James Taylor loving fans need not fear what she might say about him. He is still a great wonderful icon even in Carly’s eyes. But she does humanize him and makes him more real…and endearing as such. That they have two beautiful children in Sally and Ben is lovely. I was very moved by her sharing the unique way James helped her thru the delivery of each child – choke up moment for me and anyone who has experienced the out of this world pain and exhilaration of childbirths with a loving companion to pull you thru.
    She also reveals enough about herself for James Taylor fans to understand why he might have left her…
    I read the book riveted to her every lyrical phrases and words, loving every minute of the experience and still remain an ardent loving fan of our hero James Taylor.

Tee
    Participant

Barb said:
    “…and Rkiel,you say “as usual”. The only time you will find me speaking in James’s defense is when I feel his personal privacy is being invaded, as was the case when I learned someone was giving out his financial information.”

Barb, your statement above to Roger – what do you mean? I hope its not a veiled threat to those of us who ‘dare’ buy Carly’s book. I say this in jest, because I only know your online persona having never met you in person – but I also wonder…would you really report on us or hate us and cut us off for reading the book?

Barb
    Participant

Interesting. And I won’t elaborate on my statement to Rkiel, Tee. And mine was a memberish suggestion to save the money. But if you found the book enjoyable, great. The little I heard about was enough for me to understand why James won’t talk to her,and why she adores him. Tact is one thing.

James Taylor is ONE Man I would never kiss and tell. Grin from ear to ear? Sure. But not write a book and include private moments about it. I’m not criticizing anyone who reads the book. I wanted to until I read the excerpts. That was a turnoff for me.

Jenn_v2
    Participant

I can’t wait to read it. I have been telling Tee all week “I will read it tonight, I will read it tonight….”

Personally I am just interested out of morbid curiosity. I also believe that the information is so old as to not really be relevant anymore (most of it happened before I was even born as a matter of fact). Everyone involved is likely a completely different person now.

I also know that not a lot of it will really be a surprise, for those of us who are studied up on what James himself has put out there. The man “is himself” for a living. He was a Mean Old Man. He repeatedly gives the advice “avoid a major drug habit and don’t children before you are ready.” He writes songs about giving away homes in divorces – we’ve heard most of it all before.

Create New Topic
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.