Concert at Busnell in Hartford in “71

Home Forums General JT Topics Concert at Busnell in Hartford in “71

Create New Topic
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Barb King
    Participant

I found this group while searching for information about a JT concert I attended in Hartford at the Bushnell in 1971. It is listed with other concerts from that year on this site, but it does not have a complete set list. I remember Carol King coming out during the concert, and James introducing her, and she sat at the piano and played “You’ve Got a Friend”. It was the first we had really heard of her, and she was fantastic. I attended the concert with several friends, and none of them remembered this, so I was really glad to see that it actually was documented. Does anyone else have any other information on this concert? I am going to see Beautiful this spring on Broadway, and have been thinking a lot about this concert lately. What a treat it was to see them play together.

Ed
    Participant

Hi! I was at that concert as well. I believe Carole was the opening act, and I remember her singing a number of songs. She was unknown to me, but kept singing former hit songs she said were hers. It took me the longest time to realize she had written or co-written all those hit songs. I believe she also played one or more songs from the Tapestry album. Amazing concert!

barry cerreto
    Participant

I am late to the posts, but I too attended the concert, had first balcony seats, center section. Wonderful show. Yes, Carol King opened the show and I believe the backup band on tour was Jo Mama. They had a hit called “sailin”.

Di Wolfe
    Participant

I was at that concert also. Actually Jo Mama opened and then James Taylor came out and then he brought out Carole King. She sang “you got a friend: with him. then she performed a bunch of her songs from the 60’s. I too had no idea that she was was the songwriter.

Di Wolfe
    Participant

James Morin
    Participant

I was there as well. I was sitting in the balcony and a friend had great seats in the orchestra section. I gave him my tape recorder and he taped most of the show. I wish I had a copy of the show – it’s been years since I lost it. Most memorable performance was Rainy Day Man. I’ve heard a hundred live renditions of this song and that was by far the best.

DPF Banks
    Participant

I was also there for that amazing concert in Feb 1971 in fantastic seats in the orchestra. Carol King opened and I recall it being her debut, but have been unable to find the history to corroborate until here! Yay, my memory was not a figment of imagination. Now, if I can find the Fillmore East concert with Edgar Winter and Emerson Lake and Palmer…

Create New Topic
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.