Did Don Grolnick write “Up From Your Life”?

Home Forums General JT Topics Did Don Grolnick write “Up From Your Life”?

Create New Topic
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ping-pong
    Participant

In the recent story about the recent passing of Valerie Carter there was an interview with Valerie, and in it, Valerie clearly implied that “Up From Your Life” was written by Don Grolnick. Talking about her idea of having a “Dirge Night” where everyone at a club plays sad songs, she said:

VC: So you just pick all the saddest, most tear-jerking songs, and those are my favorite. “Look Up From Your Life” just kills me. I see Don Grolnick’s face, and I just go somewhere.

However, the liner notes to the album it’s on (Hourglass) say:

“All tracks written by James Taylor © 1997 Country Road Music, Inc. (BMI). All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission, except: 11 written by Livingston Taylor/ Maggie Taylor © 1993 Morgan Creek Music (ASCAP). All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission. 12 written by Fred Ahlert/Roy Turk © 1930 (Renewed) Chappell & Co. (ASCAP). All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission. “

Laura S
    Participant

James Taylor wrote the song, and she was essentially saying that it reminded her of Don Grolnick, who had passed away around the time that the album was being made.

ping-pong
    Participant

Thanks Laura, that makes sense

Create New Topic
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.