The Importance of JTO

Home Forums Social Lounge The Importance of JTO

Create New Topic
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Barb
    Participant

Yesterday, a great friend died, the husband of an even closer friend I met only because of this site.Barry Duncan served in law enforcement in Carthage,MO,but more importantly, he was one of the greatest hubbies a woman could ask for. I met him and Debbie (Sunshine in MO) in Tulsa, OK several years back.It ended up she would be my personal backstage camera woman! She could always capture the best shots. I saw her and Barry in Springfield MO in June. Barry died suddenly,while recovering from back surgery. Not quite 63,he was WAY too young!!

RIP,Barry!! And thank you,JTO.

liz
    Participant

Barb, so sorry on the loss of your friend. JTO has been established many years and I know that I am one of many who have met and made good friends here. We have been on a life journey together and have shared many happy moments all thanks to JT and of course Joel for maintaining this important site.
    Technology has come a long way. For JT fans this site has been a lifeline for fuelling our craving for information on JT at a time before facebook, twitter etc. It served us well enabling us to talk in the chat-room, exchange details, meet at concerts, travel the world etc. Long may it continue.

Barb
    Participant

Thanks,and I totally agree!!

Lena
    Participant

James Taylor was the archetypal sensitive singer/songwriter of the Seventies. His songs, especially his early material, were tales of inner torment delivered in low-key tunes, with Taylor’s understated tenor backed by intricate acoustic guitar parts that drew on folk and jazz. Taylor came across as relaxed, personable, and open; he was imitated by a horde of would-be confessionalists, although his best songs were as artful as they were emotional. They weren’t folk songs; they were pop compositions with folk dynamics, and in them Taylor put across more bitterness and resignation than reassurance. As he continued to record, Taylor split his albums between cover singles that were hits (“Handy Man,” “You’ve Got a Friend”) and his own songs, maturing into a laid-back artist with a large and devoted following of baby boomers.

DC48
    Participant

Im the youngest kid in my family by 10 years. While not a boomer, JT’s music filled our home in my early year thanks to my big brother and sister. I was a cellist and today still play the guitar–and yep–its an Olson. Over the years, I learned new music as JT released it and worked my way back to his start.

Why does this site matter: Simple
    Jame’s music is the soundtrack of my life. I think that’s the case for many people. He intuitively “gets” both the good and bad of human nature and how it affects us. And most remarkably-writes songs about it, all.
    I hope others will find his music thru this site and others like it. Thanks for it all, James

Photo: JT at Madison Sq Garden

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    sirmartin
    Participant

I stumbled upon JTO in 1997 when I changed jobs from a nucleair power station to go work as a biomedical engineer in a hospital. Great to go study again, pathology, anatomy, physiology and some more ology’s. I got internet at home that year and found my way into the JTO chatroom (well, sometimes at work too). The first album of James Taylor I got years before in 1985, That’s why I am here. For years it was the only album. At that time I was also playing a bit of guitar but 1997 was also a bad year when I almost kicked the bucked ending up with a deaf ear, and broken organ of equilibrium, tinnitus and some more minor defects. So guitar playing and music was off limits for a while. I went with friends to see James in Amsterdam around that time. A year later I met Christine from Canada at the JTO Chat and we began writing and I visited her in Canada in those weeks we had a trip to New Hampshire and went out to dinner with the local JTO gang, Johndoc and others I have to look them up in my photo album to recall all the names. The friendship with Christine did not last, we had big plans. After a while we lost contact. Some years later at the JTO chat I got inot some arguments and they seem to get worse and worse. I do not even remember about what, but I left for many years. And now 20 years have past and not much of the old friends are still here. Been all over the world from Russia to Thailand for fun, friendship and work. Resigned my hospital job and changed to radiotherapy. And still working on my small house that I bought in 1999. Now I am old. That is the short version …. lol.

liz
    Participant

Sir Martin, just came across your post from earlier this year…..seems we had so many names in common. Yes over the years we have lost contact with number of JTOers who were there in the early days, however, it is always a treat to meet them again at some JTO venue across the world. I have had the pleasure of meeting many people. I have always been of the opinion if you like and enjoy JT you have to be a good person. That is my outlook at any rate. JTOers I have met have been friendly and welcoming. I fondly remember the old chat room, however with ever evolving technology people stay in contact in many ways. Fondly remember those evenings, waiting for everyone to log on…..

JusTom
    Participant

It’s amazing how time flies. I too remember the old chat room and lurking to see who was going to logon next. Very fond memories of this site as we met many wonderful people and thanks to Joel and the creation of this webpage, I met my wonderful Canadian wife initially at a JTO get together in Mansfield Mass in 1998. We have never looked back. It’s been a long ride and a blast at the same time. I wish that the chat room could come back or there was a better way to reconnect with some of the original JTOer’s. If there are any of the old timers still out there, comment on this post so that we know you’re out there. JusTom & Roo

hbagain
    Participant

I’ve been a fan since the very first James Taylor album. His music has carried me through many a low spot. Even in Navy boot camp (1974) I couldn’t listen to him but wrote some of his lyrics down. It got me through.

d182003s
    Participant

D18 here,checking in on Arkie and Gypsy from “good times gone by” and all of the others. I think of you all at each JT show I manage to attend.

Create New Topic
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.