Breast Cancer

Home Forums Social Lounge Breast Cancer

Create New Topic
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Barb
    Participant

This time is like any other, I guess. I’m going to talk. I got the confirmation this week, I have it. And I’m fighting it. And I hope to GOD that I can still go to atleast one of James’s concerts I planned on for this spring/summer.

These are the things that keep me going all year long, besides 5 grown kids and 4 grandkids, the thought of getting dressed in a new top and jeans or whatever it might be, maybe jumping the car and driving across town,or to another town, radio gently rocking me to Sweet Baby James, or another highway song. Or maybe it involves a flight, like that incredible,magical time I had in New York City last June. I never in a million years thought I’d even visit there. It wasn’t on the bucket list. Oh, how THAT changed!

So yeah, I’m seeing the surgeon on Tuesday,and unlike many who keep breast cancer quiet and go it alone, I’m speaking up,and I’m fighting it. And thank you, James, for being one of the many reasons I’ll do it,too.

The painting is one I just did of my grandmother’s house. My grandfather built it,then died 2 years later, leaving my grandmother with 5 little babies to raise alone in 1930. More paintings are in Distant Moon Studios(in facebook) for sale. https://www.facebook.com/distantmoonstudios/

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Erik
    Participant

Pff Barb, what a sad news to get. I really hope you’ll recover fully and that you’ll have the strength/possibility to see James this year.

All the best and lots of good wishes,
    Erik

Barb
    Participant

Thank you, Erik. I’m fighting to get out of the f-it mood,and into the “let the fight begin” mindset. It takes effort!! 3 of my 5 grown kids and 2 of my grandkids spent the afternoon here yesterday, and it helped til they all left. Trying again today!

I think those Spring dates to see James are going to be the biggest motivation. I adore my family, love spending time with them,but I need that dose of James Taylor,too!

3KMom
    Participant

Barb — I am sorry to hear this. I’ve been on this bubble a couple of times in the last several years, and one of the things I think about — as only a true JT fan would or could is — will I get to go to another concert? It’s hard not to have the lyrics of “Fire and Rain” going through your mind, but I can think of no greater motivation to keep on fighting the battle than the thought of making that trip to whatever venue is closest. You and I had a chance to meet in Columbus awhile back, and I don’t know what your plans and hopes are for the 2016 tour, but if you are headed to Peoria, I’ll be there, too — and ready to give you a hug. In the meantime, stay strong. Listen to JT. Find wisdom and comfort in his lyrics. They always work for me.

Barb
    Participant

That’s what I’m hearing. Stay strong,think positively. Today was my appt with the surgeon. The closer it got to the time to go,the more anxious I got. I cancelled. I know I need to do something soon,but I’m overloaded with stories of chemo,radiation,etc. and I knew it would be 30 minutes of the doc saying all the things he thought should be done,and me just rejecting it all. Some people can fight it. Not sure I can!

3KMom
    Participant

I have a friend whose husband is going through end-stage chemo for a rare form of abdominal cancer right now. Believe me, they have cancelled more appointments than you can imagine because the whole thing can get overwhelming. What has worked for them is taking someone with them to be their eyes and ears, having another person compile all the research and feeding it to them in manageable doses. They’ve also found the team at their hospital’s cancer center to be great advocates; through voicing their fears and concerns, they were able to tailor a more conservative treatment plan than the one the surgeon first suggested. Bottom line is that there are options and people out there who can help you figure them out. I know you are a strong lady, but don’t try to do this without your “backup singers,” to put it in JT terms!

Barb
    Participant

Thank you.My daughter in law is going with me today. I was ok until I started hearing horror stories,and looking at pics. Every case is different,and I have to deal with mine. Do or die. I’m hoping medicine has advanced as it claims.

North of me,there’s a Breast Center in Lee’s Summit,MO through St Lukes Hospital.They deal specifically with this. The surgeon I’m seeing only deals in this,and has been at it for 35 yrs. Just dreading what I’m pretty sure he’s going to say. And I hate that they can’t stage me until AFTER surgery,and after some lymph nodes are removed and tested,to see if it’s spread. Just have to NOT worry til I have a reason to.

Once I get this all going,surgery and chemo planned,then I know when I get to have fun,and go see James. Good news I lost 5 lbs in a week!

Thank you for your support, 3KMom.

Barb
    Participant

I went to the surgeon this am. I have STAGE ONE!! No Mastectomy,just lumpectomy. Early detection saved my life. YAY YAY,now back to planning my JT Adventures!!

Erik
    Participant

Great Barb! Good luck with your operation!

arkie
    Participant

JT’s music has a healing balm to it, somehow. We both know this!! 🙂

Create New Topic
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.