Here are my reworked chord diagrams for Dont Be Sad cause Your Sun is Down

Home Forums Musicians’ Corner Here are my reworked chord diagrams for Dont Be Sad cause Your Sun is Down

Create New Topic
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bat
    Participant

I attached it

bat
    Participant

Let’s try this again…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kendall Miller
    Participant

Very nice. I REALLY like the chord format you use. For some of the tabs I create, I use the Chord Image Generator (http://einaregilsson.com/chord-image-generator/). The only problem it has is that it doesn’t allow for enough characters to name some of the more exotic chords. Your format seems to be free of that particular limitation. I recently did a note for note tab of the guitar introduction to “Love Songs” (the 10th track from the “Gorilla” LP). A standard tab without chord frames…it’s a word document. I’m not sure how to load it …let me know if you have an interest!

bat
    Participant

Hi Kendall.

I would like to see your tab for the intro to “Love Songs.” My JT sheets are all over the place in “archives” on this site.

MusEdit is the software I used to create all of the sheets that I have put in this forum. It is free. I have used this since about 1999. Doug Rogers is the creator. I have spoken with him a number of times by phone. He eventually got tired of working his MusEdit site and now it has been free for years.

http://musedit.software.informer.com/4.0/

It lets you click on the guitar chord template and design your own chords. It saves your custom chord diagrams.

The main problem I have is that I need to know the name of the chord voicing when I type in a chord name.

For example: If you type an Fm#, you can change the diagram that appears from 2 4 4 2 2 2.

Finding a Chord Name –
    I have used software called “Guitar Pro 3” to help me name a chord voicing.

After you download it, go to the folder it was saved to and locate the application called “GP3Demo”

I have used this, which was free at the time, for years. Not sure if it is still free. I use this to get a chord name then I go back to MusEdit and type in a “G6” and customize it to suit me.
    When you open “Guitar Pro 3” it will pop up a small box.
    Wait 10 seconds and the box will allow you to click on “Let me try before”

Now, at the bottom of the screen a third of the way across the screen you will see a tiny blank chord diagram template. You then will get a dialog box that lets you click on the strings and create a chord. The “Alternative names box will list chord name suggestions. I always pick the simplest, shortest name.

In this case 2 x 2 2 0 x translates to “B7sus4” You can click on the Alternative names chord name “B7sus4” and it will give you maybe 16
    chord diagram voicings.

After I settle on a chord name I then return to MusEdit ad type in “B7sus4” and custom edit the diagram to the voicing I want.

Some of the chord theory pros in here and elsewhere have criticized me on not using the correct name. My feeling about this is that I don’t have the time or interest in being that accurate. They can salt and pepper the names any way they want.

If you would like, I can create a Word doc with screen shots and tips for using MusEdit and/or Guitar Pro 3.

See ya,
    Brian (Bat)

Kendall Miller
    Participant

I tried to send the tab for the brief into to “Love Songs,” but it vanished into the ether! Here, I’ll try it again!

rabbitskinner
    Participant

Sure looks right. Thank you.

Kendall Miller
    Participant

You’re Welcome rabbitskinner!
    Hi Brian!
    Yes, I would be interested in seeing “a Word doc with screen shots and tips for using MusEdit and/or Guitar Pro 3..”. Thank you for your kind offer to help me navigate the program. I’d really like to be able to use the chord frames …they look spectacular!
    You mentioned that “The main problem I have is that I need to know the name of the chord voicing when I type in a chord name.” Well, I use a terrific free on-line site to help me with that. I found it a few years back when I was creating tabs for Kenny Rankin songs….he didn’t know the names of the Jazz chord voicings he used; so, I searched a bit and found this resource “JGuitar” : look up his “Chord Namer.” Explore this site for an explanation of the various options that are available. It can name ANY chord and it can even name chords in alternate tunings (which is helpful if you use tunings a lot as I do!).

Now, as for the opening the opening to “Love Songs”… I can actually play this in two different ways. 1. With the Capo at the second fret…which is the right position for the capo to be in for the body of the song (btw, my thought here is that James recorded the intro in a separate session). 2. With the Capo on the fourth fret…this is the position I used when I created the tab. This seems much more reasonable because of the open bass note that James plays as he moves from the D/E to the E chord (see staff number three). If you play this chord change with the capo on the second fret, you’ll have to negotiate a nasty finger stretch that I don’t believe James would contemplate….though, of course, he could have done so….it is humanly possible ( because I can do it)!
    Anyway, I look forward to your review! I hope you like it!
    Cheers!
    Kendall

Kendall Miller
    Participant

For comparison purposes, I’m attaching both versions of the “Love Songs” introduction. The first one I uploaded, played at the 4th fret (but w/ a correction…); and, another version that can be played at the second fret (though I don’t believe he played it that way….) On the LP, you’ll note it lists that James played “Acoustic and high string guitars”…Usually, a high string guitar indicates Nashville tuning; but, in this case I think it refers to the guitar he plays for the brief instrumental lead-in to the song proper (which is played on the second fret.). For those who don’t wish to mess with their capo during a song, the “new” second fret version that I’m attaching is just for you!
    Enjoy! Kendall

Attachments:
    bat
    Participant

I attached a Word document that I created to help make songs with only lyrics and custom chord voicing diagrams. I keep things simple. Check it out and throw me a comment if it helps you.

Bat

Attachments:
    Create New Topic
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.